To develop and assist in the successful implementation of nurseries and provide oversight on external vendors doing the same. Additionally, this role would involve building native seed stock and would need a comprehensive understanding of dry land planting techniques.
- Take part in the strategizing, planning, and implementation of regreening projects and habitat restoration efforts
- to develop suitable plant nurseries and identify vendors to source plant material
- to provide oversight and guidance of vendors to ensure satisfactory output and delivery of plants
- to work with the Regreening Initiative team to identify restoration plant palettes and optimal restoration methods
- to explore, test, and apply innovative and useful technological tools to regreen and restore natural vegetation rapidly and at scale
- Perform a key function in supporting NEOM’s Regreening and Habitat Restoration efforts in a timely and effective manner using best practices and in accordance with national and international standards.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & ACTIVITIES :
Planning & Strategy
- Contribute to the design and implementation of NEOM’s Regreening Initiative strategic objectives and goals by providing inputs into the overall strategy
- Contribute to the development of NEOM’s regreening strategy supply chain, sourcing, and implementation plan
- Work closely with senior leaders in other sectors and with external stakeholders to raise awareness of regreening objectives, opportunities, and challenges and support their conservation and management efforts through integration into project design and delivery in relation to the values of NEOM.
- Help develop appropriate native species plant palettes for habitat restoration and effective restoration methods
- Take the lead in planning plant material sources, needs, and scheduling for the Regreening Initiative
- Help plan, implement, and manage sourcing plant material for our Regreening Initiative for NEOM natural habitats – sources include nurseries, external vendors, and seed collections, among others
- Identify, organize, procure, and work with NEOM teams to construct, manage, and maintain required facilities and services for successful regreening activities, including nurseries, exclosures, and seed banks
- Help guide nursery, other sourcing, and active restoration activities
- Help instil a culture of development, guidance, and performance within regreening teams
Monitoring of Regreening Progress & Efficacy
- Contribute to the monitoring and reporting on the progress and efficacy of regreening and active habitat restoration efforts and the efficacy and challenges of how sourcing is supporting achieving regreening outcomes
- Contribute to identifying, testing, and reporting on new approaches and technologies to facilitate sourcing
- Contribute to assessing the efficacy of sourcing plants from nurseries and other sources
- Help establish health, condition standards and best practice testing and monitoring protocols for different target species during all stages of regreening
- Help establish protocols for transplanting and planting native species of trees, shrubs, palms, and herbaceous plants and grasses
BACKGROUND, SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Experience with arid land regreening and natural habitat restoration programs, experience with arid-land Palearctic floras and ecosystems desirable
- Extensive experience working with native plants and ecosystems of the Arabian Peninsula and Near East
- Extensive experience in working and managing nurseries and botanical gardens in the Arabian Peninsula and Near East
- Strong experience in developing and managing seed banks
- Strong background in plant material sourcing and habitat restoration techniques
- Experience working with government agencies, scientists, protected area managers
- Strong leadership skills and proven ability to simultaneously manage a wide number of different functional areas and multiple staff.
- Have good skills in project management including proposals, scope of work, managing contractors, budgeting, projections, reporting, and communications
- A creative and agile approach to workplace challenges, able to adapt and find solutions to rapidly changing conditions and challenges
- A proven ability to motivate staff and provide appropriate developmental opportunities that increase operational performance
- A willingness and ability to conduct fieldwork in Arabian desert, savanna, and montane arid environments for extended periods of time
Qualifications And Experience.
Higher degree in restoration ecology, botany, landscape ecology or other relevant fields
Four or more years of experience in habitat restoration work, particularly for arid ecosystems
Two or more years working in nurseries, gardens, landscaping, and habitat restoration in the Arabian Peninsula and Near East
- Free Accommodation.
- Free Laundry and housekeeping.
- Free transportation.
- 2 flights per month domestic round trip.
- 1 Annual Travel Allowance.
- Relocation Flight.
- Free Meals ( breakfast, lunch, dinner ).
- Schooling – 60K SAR per child up to 3 children.
- Bonus 20-30% annual (performance based).
- Savings Plan ( Long-term incentive plan ).
- Medical insurance ( VVIP health coverage), for Employee, Family & Parents.
- Annual Leave 30 working days annual.
- Remote Working 24 working days annual.
Apply for Job
For More jobs
Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | LinkedIn